Understanding Great Doctrines of the Bible
Understanding the Believer’s Sanctification
I Corinthians 6:9-11
I. The Explanation of Sanctification
A. What sanctification is not:
1. It is not a_______________________________________ .
- Romans 7:18
2. It is not the ___________________________ _______________________________________.
3. It is not_______________________________________________________________________ .
- Isaiah 65:5
B. What sanctification is:
1. It is “ _______________________________________________.”
2. Different uses of the word in Scripture
a. God ______________________________________________.
- Genesis 2:3
b. The believer is _______________________________________.
- I Peter 3:15
c. Israel was ______________________________________________________________.
- Leviticus 20:7
II. The Composition of Sanctification
Sanctification is spoken of in three ways:
- I Corinthians 6:9-11
- Hebrews 10:10
1. The believer’s sanctification is ________________________________________________.
- Hebrews 13:12
2. Because of this position, Christians are called “holy brethren” and “saints.”
a. In his position in Christ, the Christian ___________________________ ____________________________________.
- Hebrews 10:14
b. Positional sanctification is as ___________________________________________________________________.
c. The believer’s daily practice or experience __________________________ ____________________________________.
- I Corinthians 1:2
3. God never tells us to work up to a position.
## He first places us in a position and tells us to put our position into practice.
1. Whereas positional sanctification is solely the work of God, it is and a ________________, _____________________.
2. Progressive sanctification _____________________________________________________.
- II Corinthians 7:1
- II Timothy 2:21
- I Thessalonians 4:3-4, 7
3. Progressive sanctification depends upon three things:
a. The _________________________________
- John 17:17
- Ephesians 5:25-26
b. The believer’s _______________________
- I Peter 1:14-16
c. The enabling _____________________________________________________________
- Galatians 5:16.
- I Thessalonians 5:23 -24
## What God starts, He will finish.
## Our final sanctification will occur in the future when Jesus Christ returns for His bride.
III.The Description of Sanctification
Every believer can say…
A. I __________________________________sanctified (set apart from the penalty of sin through the sacrifice of Christ and am now able to stand righteous and perfect before God).
B. I __________________________________sanctified (progressively being set apart from the power of sin and its control over my life by my obedience to the Word of God and through the power of the indwelling Spirit of God conforming me to the image of Christ).
C. One day I _________________________________ultimately sanctified (set apart from the very presence of sin and I shall be like Him at His appearing when He returns to take me home to heaven).
Pastor David Peterson has designed classes around teaching the new believer or even the "seasoned" believer some of the most important foundational concepts in the Word of God. Dr. Peterson has pastored for 40+ years at First Baptist of Land O Lakes in Florida. He has a unique ability to teach those things which may seem confusing and make them simple to understand. Enjoy the teaching as you endeavor to walk more closely with the Lord. The lessons are based on Dr. Peterson's book - "A Firm Foundation"